Friday 24 August 2012

'One Night' – the Aim High Short Film


In May of this year, the NI Screen Aim High trainees decided to make a short film. Little did we know the commitment that we were putting ourselves forward for.

Three months later we find ourselves on the eve of the long August bank holiday weekend, and the two day shoot of our short film, ‘One Night’ (working title).

Our short has been written by a trainee, is directed by a trainee, produced by two trainees and crewed by trainees. We have gone through the normal stages that any short film producers do – in an exceptionally rapid period of time. I have been one of two producers for the short.

In June we went through a quick fire round of script development on three short dramas and one factual short documentary. We pitched all four to NI Screen and at the beginning of July we were left with the chosen script, ‘One Night’.

What followed was a speedy pre-production including casting, crew finding, breaking deals on equipment hire, drawing up a budget, redrafting the screenplay and negotiating locations. With just over 12 hours to go until the first crew call I have just signed off the final call sheet, production schedule and unit list.

Although we have found ourselves hugely fortunate to have the support of fantastic technicians, facility companies and mentors within our reach, it has by no means been easy.

We have learnt a huge amount in such a short period of time. Personally, I came from a singularly factual background and had never even formed part of a crew on a short film before. I sometimes wonder how it is that I have found myself producing a short drama film. Then I remember that it was my idea in the first place and I only have myself to blame...

The proof, they say, is in the pudding. Keep following the #onenight story here and on Twitter to find out if we manage to pull it off...

No comments:

Post a Comment